Stabilized Weighted Reduced Basis Methods for Parametrized Advection Dominated Problems with Random Inputs
In this work, we propose viable and efficient strategies for stabilized parametrized advection dominated problems, with random inputs. In particular, we investigate the combination of the wRB (weighted reduced basis) method for stochastic parametrized problems with the stabilized RB (reduced basis) method, which is the integration of classical stabilization methods (streamline/upwind Petrov--Galerkin (SUPG) in our case) in the offline--online structure of the RB method. Moreover, we introduce a reduction method that selectively enables online stabilization; this leads to a sensible reduction of computational costs, while keeping a very good accuracy with respect to high-fidelity solutions. We present numerical test cases to assess the performance of the proposed methods in steady and unsteady problems related to heat transfer phenomena.
1. , On the stability and extension of reduced-order Galerkin models in incompressible flows , Theoret. Comput. Fluid Dynam. , 23 ( 2009 ), pp. 213 -- 237 .
2. S. Ali, F. Ballarin, and G. Rozza, Stabilized reduced basis methods for parametrized steady Stokes and Navier-Stokes equations, submitted.
3. , Explicit reduced-order models for the stabilized finite element approximation of the incompressible Navier--Stokes equations , Internat. J. Numer. Methods Fluids , 72 ( 2013 ), pp. 1219 -- 1243 .
4. , Fast simulations of patient-specific haemodynamics of coronary artery bypass grafts based on a POD--Galerkin method and a vascular shape parametrization , J. Comput. Phys. , 315 ( 2016 ), pp. 609 -- 628 .
5. F. Ballarin, A. Sartori, and G. Rozza, RBniCS---Reduced Order Modelling in FEniCS, http://mathlab.sissa.it/rbnics, 2015.
6. , An `empirical interpolation' method: Application to efficient reduced-basis discretization of partial differential equations , C. R. Math. Acad. Sci. Paris , 339 ( 2004 ), pp. 667 -- 672 .
7. , Streamline upwind/Petrov-Galerkin formulations for convection dominated flows with particular emphasis on the incompressible Navier-Stokes equations , Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg. , 32 ( 1982 ), pp. 199 -- 259 .
8. , On a certified Smagorinsky reduced basis turbulence model , SIAM J. Numer. Anal. , 55 ( 2017 ), pp. 3047 -- 3067 , https://doi.org/10.1137/17M1118233.
9. P. Chen, Model Order Reduction Techniques for Uncertainty Quantification Problems, Ph.D. thesis, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne EPFL, https://infoscience.epfl.ch/record/198689/files/EPFL_TH6118.pdf, 2014.
10. , A weighted reduced basis method for elliptic partial differential equations with random input data , SIAM J. Numer. Anal. , 51 ( 2013 ), pp. 3163 -- 3185 , https://doi.org/10.1137/130905253.
11. , A weighted empirical interpolation method: A priori convergence analysis and applications , ESAIM Math. Model. Numer. Anal. , 48 ( 2014 ), pp. 943 -- 953 .
12. , Reduced basis methods for uncertainty quantification , SIAM/ASA J. Uncertain. Quantif. , 5 ( 2017 ), pp. 813 -- 869 , https://doi.org/10.1137/151004550.
13. , Reduced basis method for parametrized elliptic advection-reaction problems , J. Comput. Math. , 28 ( 2010 ), pp. 122 -- 148 .
14. R. Durrett, Probability Theory and Examples, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2010.
15. , A posteriori error bounds for the empirical interpolation method , C. R. Math. Acad. Sci. Paris , 348 ( 2010 ), pp. 575 -- 579 .
16. , Comparison and combination of reduced-order modelling techniques in 3D parametrized heat transfer problems , Math. Comput. Model. Dyn. Syst. , 17 ( 2011 ), pp. 371 -- 394 .
17. , SUPG reduced order models for convection-dominated convection--diffusion--reaction equations , Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg. , 289 ( 2015 ), pp. 454 -- 474 .
18. M. Grepl and A. Patera, A posteriori error bounds for reduced-basis approximations of parametrized parabolic partial differential equations, ESAIM M2AN, 39 (2005), pp. 157--181.
19. B. Haasdonk and M. Ohlberger, Reduced basis method for finite volume approximations of parametrized linear evolution equations, ESAIM M2AN, 42 (2008), pp. 277--302.
20. J. Hesthaven, G. Rozza, and B. Stamm, Certified Reduced Basis Methods for Parametrized Partial Differential Equations, Springer, Berlin, 2016.
21. , A multidimensional upwind scheme with no crosswind diffusion, in Finite Element Methods for Convection Dominated Flows, AMD 34, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) , New York , 1979 , pp. 19 -- 35 .
22. , A successive constraint linear optimization method for lower bounds of parametric coercivity and inf-sup stability constants , C. R. Math. Acad. Sci. Paris , 345 ( 2007 ), pp. 473 -- 478 .
23. T. Iliescu, H. Liu, and X. Xie, Regularized Reduced Order Models for a Stochastic Burgers Equation, preprint, https://arxiv.org/abs/1701.01155, 2017.
24. , Variational multiscale proper orthogonal decomposition: Navier-Stokes equations , Numer. Methods Partial Differential Equations , 30 ( 2014 ), pp. 641 -- 663 .
25. F. Incropera and D. DeWitt, Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1990.
26. , Error analysis of the SUPG finite element discretization of evolutionary convection-diffusion-reaction equations , SIAM J. Numer. Anal. , 49 ( 2011 ), pp. 1149 -- 1176 , https://doi.org/10.1137/100789002.
27. , An analysis of some finite element methods for advection-diffusion problems, in Analytical and Numerical Approaches to Asymptotic Problems in Analysis (Proc. Conf., Univ. Nijmegen, Nijmegen, 1980), North-Holland Math. Stud. 47, North-Holland , Amsterdam , 1981 , pp. 99 -- 116 .
28. , Finite element methods for linear hyperbolic problems , Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg. , 45 ( 1984 ), pp. 285 -- 312 .
29. , Parametric free-form shape design with PDE models and reduced basis method , Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg. , 199 ( 2010 ), pp. 1583 -- 1592 .
30. A. Logg, K. Mardal, and G. Wells, Automated Solution of Differential Equations by the Finite Element Method, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2012.
31. , POD-Galerkin method for finite volume approximation of Navier--Stokes and RANS equations , Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg. , 311 ( 2016 ), pp. 151 -- 179 .
32. , An online intrinsic stabilization strategy for the reduced basis approximation of parametrized advection-dominated problems , C. R. Math. Acad. Sci. Paris , 354 ( 2016 ), pp. 1188 -- 1194 .
33. , Model reduction techniques for fast blood flow simulation in parametrized geometries , Int. J. Numer. Methods Biomed. Engrg. , 28 ( 2012 ), pp. 604 -- 625 .
34. , Reduced basis approximation and a posteriori error estimation for parametrized parabolic PDEs: Application to real-time Bayesian parameter estimation, in Large-Scale Inverse Problems and Quantification of Uncertainty, Wiley , Chichester , 2011 , pp. 151 -- 177 .
35. , Reduced basis approximation and a posteriori error estimation for the time-dependent viscous Burgers' equation , Calcolo , 46 ( 2009 ), pp. 157 -- 185 .
36. P. Pacciarini, Stabilized Reduced Basis Method for Parametrized Advection-Diffusion PDEs, Master's thesis, Università degli Studi di Pavia, Pavia, Italy, 2012.
37. , Stabilized reduced basis method for parametrized advection--diffusion PDEs , Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg. , 274 ( 2014 ), pp. 1 -- 18 .
38. , Stabilized reduced basis method for parametrized scalar advection-diffusion problems at higher Péclet number: Roles of the boundary layers and inner fronts, in Proceedings of the 11th World Congress on Computational Mechanics and 5th European Congress on Computational Mechanics and 6th European Congress on Computational Fluid Dynamics, Barcelona , Spain , 2014 , pp. 5614 -- 5624 .
39. , Reduced basis approximation of parametrized advection-diffusion PDEs with high Péclet number, in Numerical Mathematics and Advanced Applications - ENUMATH 2013, Lecture Notes Comput. Sci. Eng. 103, Springer , Cham , 2015 , pp. 419 -- 426 .
40. , Certified reduced basis approximation for parametrized partial differential equations and applications , J. Math. Ind. , 1 ( 2011 ), 3 .
41. A. Quarteroni, R. Sacco, and F. Saleri, Numerical Mathematics, Texts Appl. Math. 37, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2007.
42. A. Quarteroni and A. Valli, Numerical Approximation of Partial Differential Equations, Springer, Berlin, 1994.
43. , Reduced basis approximation and a posteriori error estimation for affinely parametrized elliptic coercive partial differential equations: Application to transport and continuum mechanics , Arch. Comput. Methods Eng. , 3 ( 2008 ), pp. 229 -- 275 .
44. G. Rozza, C. N. Nguyen, A. T. Patera, and S. Deparis, Reduced basis methods and a posteriori error estimators for heat transfer problems, in Proceedings of the ASME 2009 Heat Transfer Summer Conference Collocated with the InterPACK09 and 3rd Energy Sustainability Conferences. Volume 2: Theory and Fundamental Research; Aerospace Heat Transfer; Gas Turbine Heat Transfer; Computational Heat Transfer, San Francisco, CA, 2009, pp. 753--762.
45. C. Spannring, Weighted Reduced Basis Methods for Parabolic PDEs with Random Input Data, Ph.D. thesis, Graduate School CE, Technische Universität Darmstadt, Darmstadt, Germany, 2018.
46. C. Spannring, S. Ullmann, and J. Lang, A weighted reduced basis method for parabolic PDEs with random data, in Recent Advances in Computational Engineering (ICCE 2017), Lecture Notes in Comput. Sci. Eng. 124, M. Schäfer et al., eds., Springer, Cham, pp. 145--161, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-93891-2_9.
47. , POD-Galerkin reduced order methods for CFD using finite volume discretisation: Vortex shedding around a circular cylinder , Commun. Appl. Ind. Math. , 8 ( 2017 ), pp. 210 -- 236 .
48. L. Venturi, Weighted Reduced Basis Methods for Parametrized PDEs in Uncertainty Quantification Problems, Master's thesis, Università degli Studi di Trieste/SISSA, Trieste, Italy, 2016.
49. L. Venturi, F. Ballarin, and G. Rozza, A weighted POD method for elliptic PDEs with random inputs, J. Sci. Comput., to appear, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10915-018-0830-7.