Probabilistic Analysis of Mean-Field Games
The purpose of this paper is to provide a complete probabilistic analysis of a large class of stochastic differential games with mean field interactions. We implement the Mean-Field Game strategy developed analytically by Lasry and Lions in a purely probabilistic framework, relying on tailor-made forms of the stochastic maximum principle. While we assume that the state dynamics are affine in the states and the controls, and the costs are convex, our assumptions on the nature of the dependence of all the coefficients upon the statistical distribution of the states of the individual players remains of a rather general nature. Our probabilistic approach calls for the solution of systems of forward-backward stochastic differential equations of a McKean--Vlasov type for which no existence result is known, and for which we prove existence and regularity of the corresponding value function. Finally, we prove that a solution of the Mean-Field Game problem as formulated by Lasry and Lions, does indeed provide approximate Nash equilibriums for games with a large number of players, and we quantify the nature of the approximation.
1. M. Bardi, Explicit Solutions of Some Linear Quadratic Mean Field Games, Technical report, Padova University, Padova, Italy, 2011.
2. A. Bensoussan, K. C. J. Sung, S. C. P. Yam, and S. P. Yung, Linear Quadratic Mean Field Games, Technical report, 2011.
3. , Mean-field backward stochastic differential equations and related partial differential equations , Stochastic Process. Appl. , 119 ( 2007 ), pp. 3133 -- 3154 .
4. , Mean-field backward stochastic differential equations: A limit approach , Ann. Probab. , 37 ( 2009 ), pp. 1524 -- 1565 .
5. P. Cardaliaguet, Notes on Mean Field Games, Technical report, 2010.
6. R. Carmona and F. Delarue, Forward-Backward Stochastic Differential Equations and Controlled McKean Vlasov Dynamics, Technical report, Princeton University and University of Nice, http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00803683.
7. R. Carmona, F. Delarue, and A. Lachapelle, Control of McKean-Vlasov versus Mean Field Games, Mathematical Financial Economics, to appear.
8. , On the existence and uniqueness of solutions to FBSDEs in a non-degenerate case , Stochastic Process. Appl. , 99 ( 2002 ), pp. 209 -- 286 .
9. , Mean field games and applications, In R. Carmona et al., eds., Paris Princeton Lectures in Mathematical Finance, Lecture Notes in Math., Springer , Berlin , 2011 , pp. 205 -- 266 .
10. O. Guéant, J. M. Lasry, and P. L. Lions, Mean field games and oil production, In The Economics of Sustainable Development, Ed. Economica, 2010.
11. , Maximum principle for semilinear stochastic evolution control systems , Stochastics Stochastic Rep. , 33 ( 1990 ), pp. 159 -- 180 .
12. , Individual and mass behavior in large population stochastic wireless power control problems: centralized and Nash equilibrium solutions, Proc. 42nd IEEE Conf. Decision and Control, Maui , Hawaii 2003 , pp. 98 -- 103 .
13. , Large population stochastic dynamic games: Closed-loop McKean-Vlasov systems and the Nash certainty equivalence principle , Commun. Inf. Syst. , 6 ( 2006 ), pp. 221 -- 251 .
14. , Large population cost coupled LQG problems with nonuniform agents: Individual mass behavior and decentralized $\epsilon$-Nash equilibria , IEEE Trans. Automat. Control , 52 ( 2007 ), pp. 1560 -- 1571 .
15. , Nonlinear SDEs driven by Lévy processes and related PDEs , ALEA Lat. Am. J. Probab. , 4 ( 2008 ), pp. 1 -- 29 .
16. A. Lachapelle, Human Crowds and Groups Interactions: A Mean Field Games Approach, Technical report, CEREMADE, University Paris Dauphine, Paris, France, 2010.
17. A. Lachapelle and J. M. Lasry, A Mean Field Games Model for the Choice of Insulation Technology of Households, Technical report, CEREMADE, University Paris Dauphine, Paris, France, 2010.
18. , Jeux à champ moyen I. Le cas stationnaire , C. R. Sci. Math. Acad. Paris , 343 ( 2006 ), pp. 619 -- 625 .
19. , Jeux à champ moyen II. Horizon fini et contrôle optimal , C. R. Sci. Math. Acad. Paris , 343 ( 2006 ), pp. 679 -- 684 .
20. , Mean field games , Jpn. J. Math. , 2 ( 2007 ), pp. 229 -- 260 .
21. J. Ma and J. Yong, Forward-Backward Stochastic Differential Equations and their Applications, Lecture Notes in Math. 1702, Springer, Berlin, 2007.
22. , Fully coupled forward-backward stochastic differential equations and applications to optimal control , SIAM J. Control Optim. , 37 ( 1999 ), pp. 825 -- 843 .
23. H. Pham, Continuous-time Stochastic Control and Optimization with Financial Applications, Stoch. Model. Appl. Probab. 61, Springer Verlag, Berlin, 2009.
24. S. T. Rachev and L. Ruschendorf, Mass Transportation Problems, Vol. I: Theory, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1998.
25. , Topics in propagation of chaos, Ecole de Probabilités de Saint Flour, D. L. Burkholder et al., Lecture Notes in Math. 1464, Springer , Berlin , 1991 , pp. 165 -- 251 .
26. J. Yong and X. Zhou, Stochastic Controls: Hamiltonian Systems and HJB Equations, Appl. Math. (N.Y.) 43, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1999.